Friday, February 20, 2009

How CPSIA compliant libraries will look

I am moving my CPSIA rants and its effect on libraries to my Reading blog. The irony is that since I started fighting the CPSIA, I have not had much time to read. Seems that is what Thomas Moore and his Ilk want. In any event, you can catch up with my previous CPSIA blog entries at the Design Loft. I will continue to write about the CPSIA effects on the apparel industry there.

Anyway, below are pictures from my local library. The red lines are over books that I know are printed pre-1985. I know there are some I didn't cross-out because I didn't take the time to look. This gives a visual representation of the devastating effects the CPSIA will have on our library. Our children's section is around 12,000 items.


The picture above shows our junior fiction series. The CPSIA pre-1985 opinion effects these series (threatens to wipe out some series):

1. Alfred Hitchcock Mysteries
2. 75% of the Berenstain Bears
3. Choose Your Own Adventures
4. Happy Hollisters
5. All of the Hardy Boys
6. 80% of Nancy Drew
7. All of the Serendipity series
8. All of the original series from Little House on the Prairie books
9. Most of some lesser known series.


This picture is from just one section of the junior fiction area:

1. Some Betsy Byars books.
2. Lloyd Alexander adventure stories.
3. Nearly all of the Beverly Cleary books.
4. All of the Walter Farley Black Stallion books.
5. And many, many more.

3 comments:

Heather said...

This is great! Thanks for going to the trouble to SHOW what it looks like. I have a bookstore with mostly "rescued" ex-library books... I focus on pre-1973.

I just wrote this last night -- a Dr. Seuss style story about CPSIA --

http://easyfunschool.com/the_CPSIA_meets_Dr_Seuss.html

Marni said...

Sad, sad, sad.

As Marcellus puts it in Hamlet, "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark."

Javamom said...

Thank you for an insider's look at what the new CSPC rulings will do to libraries. It is sobering. I will link to this post in my next CPSIA update.

I understand what you mean by not being able to read b/c time is occupied by studying the rulings and news or blog links related to the fallout.

Good luck as you figure out what to do next, as we await things to settle out over this whole mess.

Sincerely,

Javamom