Thursday, December 03, 2009

Book of a thousand days


This is the third book by Shannon Hale that I have read. I have to say I like Shannon Hale as a young adult writer. It's not to say the other books were bad because they weren't. But Book of a Thousand Days clearly shows that Shannon Hale can write with a great deal of charm. I also felt a great deal of relief after reading this book because it confirmed what library patrons were saying about her. She does write really good stories. I am not sure how else to say it but I was thoroughly charmed by this book. It is written in the style of a daily journal, and was the third book of this style I read in a row.

The story is a retelling of a Brothers Grimm fairytale. Dashti is the servant of a Lady Saren. Lady Saren refuses to marry a despicable man and her father locks her and Dashti up in a tower for seven years. Dashti keeps a journal to record their daily life. Over time, the girls are visited by the jilted fiancé and another suitor. What follows is a series of adventures and unexpected twists and turns - especially since I was unfamiliar with the fairytale.

Book Rating: 4 stars

No comments: