Friday, January 21, 2011

The Lonely Polygamist


This book came highly recommended by a member of my community. He said it was laugh out funny. The title alone implies comedy. How could a polygamist be lonely?

I should have known better. I had tried to read another novel by Brady Udall, The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint, and didn't read very much of it. It was just unpleasant.

The Lonely Polygamist was not much different. I read the first 5 chapters and then simply looked up and asked myself why I was wasting my time. The story is about a polygamist man who is having an affair. Mind you he has 4 wives already. His actions lead to all kinds of complications to his already complicated life. Of course, I didn't read very far into the book, so I don't know what happens. I think the reason I gave up was the author has to explore the ugly side of each character. So typical of contemporary fiction authors. I hate getting dragged through the mud - so not worth my time or peace of mind.

Book Rating: 1 star

No comments: