Monday, January 17, 2011

Servant of a Dark God


I suppose if you meet an author in person and buy their book, there is a certain amount of loyalty to finish reading it. I met John Brown at a library conference and I know he frequented the same Orson Scott Card forums I had. In other words, I sort of knew him before he became a published author. In any event, I did buy Servant of a Dark God and I do read his blog. It was only fitting that I actually read it.

The fantasy genre is not really my thing and I found the first several chapters difficult to read. Fantasy authors have a tendency to introduce a lot of characters and settings very quickly with the added difficulty of weird spellings for all of their proper nouns. In other words, there is a lot to keep track of and figure out. I had the same difficulty with this book. Brown's book didn't have a lot of weird spellings on his characters. Rather he had generic names for a few characters and I had equal trouble there.

All that aside, I stuck with it and I did end up liking it. I don't know that I can do proper justice to a description of the story. Suffice to say there is good vs. evil with a bit of magic thrown in. John Brown did leave you wanting more and he does have a sequel coming out soon. I am undecided if I want to read it. Not because I had trouble reading the first one but because I have so many other things I want to read instead.

Book rating: 3.5 stars

No comments: