Wednesday, June 01, 2011

The Gardener


This is one of those books that I'm not sure how to like. The Gardner is a Young Adult sci-fi novel. If I read it as a sci-fi story and accept the conceits the author wants, than I can enjoy it. BUT, I have a hard time doing that because the conceits she wants you to accept have recently been proven to either be false or an exaggeration. BUT, this is sci-fi.

The author explains that due to global warming and an increased population growth, humans are due to experience severe food shortages that will result in a global famine. In order to prepare for the impending disaster, scientists at a research facility have been developing a way for humans to produce their own food in a similar way to plants - photosynthesis.

Mason is the main character, a teen boy being raised by his single mom. His mom works for a nursing home funded by the research lab. Instead of finding old people, he finds teen agers in a semi-comatose state. He accidentally awakens an attractive girl (hmm, yeah YA novel here) who wants to escape. Thus begins the adventure with Mason, his buddy, and the strange girl. Through a series of events Mason learns about his father, his secret research, and the impending disaster.

Ok. It's supposed to be sci-fi and I could possibly accept some of the authors plot points. BUT I had a hard time doing it. I did finish the story, so it was somewhat entertaining. Some teens may like it.

Book rating: 2 stars - not my favorite.

No comments: