Friday, January 17, 2014

The essential IBS book


Dr. Alvin Newman put together this guide to help patients understand irritable bowl syndrome (IBS). IBS is a condition in which a patient experiences frequent upset, diarrhea, constipation, bloating, etc. He describes the symptoms and treatment options in detail.

The book is a pretty easy read. Dr. Newman writes in an honest, easy to understand manner about a subject that can be embarrassing for many people. IBS is a real problem for many people and Dr. Newman provides information about current treatment options and possible causes. I was pleased to see that Dr. Newman does discuss gluten intolerance as a possible cause as well as nutritional therapies.

Dr. Newman does write with a bit of condescension in a few chapters. He goes as far as making fun of patients who bring in photographs of their bloated bellies and bowel issues. It's unfortunate that he does this because the information he does provide is accessible and useful to the reader. He also dismisses some patients concerns about constipation. Because of that, I found the book a bit off-putting. Dr. Newman is probably a fine physician, but I would be mortified to discover my doctor making fun of something that is of serious concern to me. If IBS is a concern to someone, I might recommend this book with a few caveats.

Book Rating: 3 stars

The books I select for review are books which I personally select from my local library. I do not receive any reimbursement from authors or publishers or free books. I do provide links to Amazon as a convenience to the readers of this blog. I do earn a small referral pittance which is not even enough to buy a soda.

No comments: