Monday, January 01, 2018

The King's Grave


The King's Grave is by Phillipa Langley, head of the Richard III Society and Michael Jones, a historian. This book details the discovery of King Richard III's grave in a car park. Phillipa Langley had a devoted fascination to try and find out what happened to King Richard III after being killed in battle. Using historical clues of the battle and historic maps overlaid on top of modern maps, they were able to trace a possible burial in a car park.

The book switches back and forth between the historical account and the archaeological dig. I found myself more interested by the historical account then the dig. Phillipa Langley had an emotional attachment to the long dead king that was a bit over the top. This is particularly apparent in a documentary that accompanied the book and discovery. In any event, the overall book was interesting and worth the read.

I listened to the audio version, which had a good reader. The only downside, of course, is the audio version did not have the pictures. I tracked down the print copy at the library to view the pictures so I would know what I was missing.

Book Rating : 4 stars - the book bogs down in certain sections, but is otherwise interesting.

The books I select for review are books which I personally select from my local library. I do not receive any reimbursement from authors or publishers or free books. I do provide links to Amazon as a convenience to the readers of this blog. I do earn a small referral pittance which is not even enough to buy a soda.

No comments: