Saturday, February 11, 2006

The Five People You Meet In Heaven


The Five People You Meet in Heaven is written by Mitch Albom, author of Tuesdays with Morrie. It is a quick read. I finished it in a couple of days. The story starts with the death of the main character and is built on a series of flashbacks while he works his way toward heaven.

The over all story was interesting, even if you do not agree with Albom's concept of heaven. When an individual dies, you meet five people who have something to tell you - basically the rest of the story. Their goal is to help you find peace by understanding why things happened in life. In turn, you will help five people make their way to heaven.

If nothing else, this story made me think about my daily interactions with others. Our actions or influence can affect or change another's life in subtle ways. In other words, our actions are extremely important in life. Choosing to do good things, whether you believe it will help you get into heaven or not, is vital. After we die, others will be affected by our life.

The cheesiest moment of the book is at the very end. Sorry, I must add a spoiler. The main character makes it to his heaven - the Big Ferris Wheel in the Sky. I had to roll my eyes when I reached that page. No. I am not kidding. Really, I am not.

Book Rating: 3 1/2 stars.

No comments: