Friday, August 11, 2006

The Devil Wears Prada


I interrupted my current reading for The Devil Wears Prada. Since I work in the fashion industry, it grabbed my attention. The Devil is Miranda Priestly a fashion editor for a major fashion magazine Runway. Andrea is fresh out of college and desperate for work. She gets hired as Miranda's junior assistant with no idea what she is getting into. At the end she has a moment of self discovery and walks away from her job.

Two-thirds of the book is Andrea complaining about her job, her boss, the fashion industry, etc. The complaining gets annoying and boring really fast. Evidently the author, Lauren Weisberger, worked for Vogue magazine. She must not have liked it very much. Of course, I work in a different aspect of the fashion industry, but I can't imagine being treated or abused by an insane boss. Was Lauren describing life at Vogue? If you want insight into the fashion industry, you won't find it here. Pure fiction.

I am sure the movie adaptation is much more entertaining as it probably runs more like a romantic comedy. I can't imagine watching a movie where a character complains about their boss for most of the show. Boring and irritating! I will probably catch it on tv...

Book Rating: 2 Stars - watch the movie instead.


Next up: The Apple Dumpling Gang. Yup, it was a book first.

No comments: