Monday, August 07, 2006

Never Change


I finally made it to the B shelf at my library. I skipped a bunch of Jeffrey Archer and David Baldacci. Those books are just not my thing, not to mention dated.

Which had me landing on the book Never Change by Elizabeth Berg. Berg is a good writer, but her stories are definitely from a feminist view point. I admit I can be a feminist at times. But in this case, I just don't get it.

The story is about a 50+ year old woman, Myra, who has never married. She still harbors a crush on a boy, Chip, from her high school years. Of course, this boy is now a man with terminal cancer and she becomes his nurse to assist him in his last days.

According to the author, Myra will learn how to love others and form intimate connections by assisting Chip in killing himself. Ok, it's not quite like that, but close. Myra forms a relationship with Chip during treatment. Chip decides he can't watch himself deteriorate any further and asks for Myra to attend him while he OD's on pain killers.

I don't get it. And frankly, it left me disgusted. I recommend skipping this one.

Lots more differing opinions at Amazon.


I am currently reading: The Devil Wears Prada.

No comments: