Tuesday, March 18, 2008

A Candle in the Darkness


A Candle in the Darkness is another book of gentle/Christian fiction by Lynn Austin. I don't quite know how this style of book is coming home with me. I am so tired of some of the trash that passes for contemporary fiction that I feel I have to give them a try. This book was fine enough and may be worth a read.

This story is about Caroline Fletcher and her observations/experiences with slavery and the Civil War. She is raised by an upper middle class family that owns slaves. As the story progresses, she questions slavery but has divided loyalty between her family, her country, and her love of her slave friends. Caroline is given the opportunity to choose one side or another, choices that could endanger the lives of her father and her fiance. Does one sacrifice the lives of loved ones for the greater good?

No comments: