Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Kringle


Just in time for Christmas I finished Kringle a fantasy based story about Santa Claus' origins. Tony Abbott wrote this young adult novel. The story begins with a retelling of Kringle's mysterious birth and how he was named for the sound of a bell. A lonely old woman kept Kringle hidden from goblins who have sought his destruction. Early into the story, Kringle and the old woman are attacked by goblins and the teen-aged Kringle is on his own. Kringle experiences many adventures, meets up with elves, a priest, and a final confrontation with goblins.

There were things I liked and disliked about the book, giving it a mixed review. I liked the idea of writing a fantasy based story with a teen Santa Claus. So much potential. I liked the elves, just what I imagined. But I didn't like the handling of the Christian story of Jesus and the magical world. Finally, I didn't like the characterization of Kringle. He comes across as unbalanced and not heroic.

Young adult readers who love fantasy may like this story. I could easily see this book turned into a fantasy Christmas movie. For the rest of us, it is a one-time, entertaining read (and fast too).

Book rating: 3 stars

No comments: