Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Knitting without tears


Elizabeth Zimmerman has written the ultimate knitter's companion. Originally published by Zimmerman in 1971, Knitting Without Tears continues to sell decades later. I had heard much about this book, but never read it. I am so glad I did.

It's true this book is for knitting geeks, but it is also for beginning knitters who are frustrated by traditional texts with step by step directions. Zimmerman presents a simple approach to knitting using percentages. She shows how to knit a sweater with as few seams as possible, some without seams. The book contains some basic sweater patterns that are timeless and easily made.

The charm of the book is Elizabeth Zimmerman's wit and humor. I honestly laughed out loud in some parts. For example, after cutting (yes, intentionally cutting) your sweater, she suggests lying down in a dark room to recover. Once I do this, I am sure I will have to do just that. She inspired me to let loose and experiment with knitting.

There is a new edition available now, but it has not been updated in any way. The book has a new cover but the interior is almost like a photocopy of the original. It would have been nice if the book had been updated with new pictures. The text, thankfully, the publishers left alone.

Book Rating: 5 stars, but for knitters

No comments: