Thursday, August 11, 2011

Rodale's Organic Gardening


I really liked Rodale's Organic Gardening. I've aspired to be an organic gardener for many years and this book explains the basics. It has beautiful photography, charts, and suggestions for how to grow things organically.

Admittedly, the book does leave a guilt trip. A truly organic gardener has to control every aspect of their garden from the sourcing of seeds and fertilizer, to how one harvests. It would be impossible for a new gardener to implement all of the philosophies needed to truly be organic at one time. Perhaps a gradual evolution would be a better approach. It gave me a new appreciation for the cost of organic store products and organic farmers. I also came to the realization that occasionally some pesticide is necessary or my cabbage and brussel sprouts would be ravaged by bugs yet again.

No comments: