Thursday, February 27, 2014

What color is your parachute? 2012


Searching for a job is tough. I've read several self-help books and guides on job hunting but none come close Richard N. Bolles' book What Color is Your Parachute? This book has been revised and updated annually since 1972. I read the 2012 edition.

The author addresses all aspects of finding a job. From career changes to job loss to extended periods of unemployment, Bolles offers practical advice on how to deal with each situation. He also discusses job searching through online postings, networking, and personal contact. He advises that a job seeker should pursue multiple avenues rather than just one. His advice on resumes are practical, helping the reader focus on relevant, transferable skills.

I highly recommend reading this book if you are considering a career change or need to find a new job. While I was not in either situation, I still found the author's positive, up-beat attitude inspiring. I do not know if it is important to read the latest edition. Even one that is a few years old will probably still prove useful.

Book rating: 5 stars


The books I select for review are books which I personally select from my local library. I do not receive any reimbursement from authors or publishers or free books. I do provide links to Amazon as a convenience to the readers of this blog. I do earn a small referral pittance which is not even enough to buy a soda.

No comments: