Tuesday, July 01, 2014

My story by Elizabeth Smart



It's hard to write a review on a book with such a difficult subject. I can remember much about the kidnapping of Elizabeth Smart because I lived in Utah when it happened. Now, 10 years later Elizabeth Smart has told her story from her point of view. There have been other books written about what happened and none of them compare to this.*

Elizabeth tells her story from that fateful night until her rescue, which had to be difficult to relive. She gives just enough detail that you understand what happens to her but not so much to turn you away. The authors voice clearly reflects one who is looking back. Elizabeth at times comments on the possible motivations of Brian David Mitchell and experiences with the maturity of one who has survived. Elizabeth gives some light to an otherwise heavy retelling by describing some of the miraculous events that helped her survive particular moments. The miracle of her rescue is perhaps the most amazing part of her story and clearly could not have happened without divine intervention.

Book Rating: 5 stars

*There was one terrible account written by a true crime writer who lived with excommunicated Mormons in order to gain perspective on why Brian David Mitchell did what he did. The book was full of inaccuracies about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. None of the people directly involved with the family or investigation cooperated with the author. I tried to find this book again and couldn't. Perhaps its been long forgotten.

The books I select for review are books which I personally select from my local library. I do not receive any reimbursement from authors or publishers or free books. I do provide links to Amazon as a convenience to the readers of this blog. I do earn a small referral pittance which is not even enough to buy a soda.

No comments: