Monday, December 18, 2017

Graceling, Bitterblue



Katsa, the daughter of the king, was born with an extreme skill. She has the ability to kill with her bear hands, called a Grace. Instead of living in luxury, she is forced to kill for the king. She escapes and falls in love with Prince Po, though she does not want to marry. In the first book of the series, Katsa learns the secret of her Grace that could potentially destroy her kingdom and all other kingdoms in the realm.

I read the first two books in the series, Graceling and Bitterblue. This is a girl as superhero story in the same vein as Hunger Games except the setting is quasi-Medieval. It's the setting that frustrated me because it didn't seem to fit with the idea of a powerful girl with modern sensibilities. It is fantasy, so the author can create whatever world she wants. There are plenty of reviewers that seem to love it, not to mention the 5 star reviews on Amazon and Goodreads. I felt the story fell flat and I became bored. I never could muster the motivation to finish the series with book three.

Book Rating: 3 stars

This series is for younger teen readers, but it does contain violence and some adult situations.

The books I select for review are books which I personally select from my local library. I do not receive any reimbursement from authors or publishers or free books. I do provide links to Amazon as a convenience to the readers of this blog. I do earn a small referral pittance which is not even enough to buy a soda.

No comments: