Monday, January 22, 2018

Divergent series


I admit that I read this book series three years ago and I am just now writing my review. Divergent is a dystopian young adult series by Veronica Roth. Beatrice Prior attends a ceremony with her family that will select which faction she will be assigned. This ceremony is supposed to help keep a stable society. Should she stay with her family's faction or choose something different. Tris chooses differently. Tris endures initiation into her new faction, but she has a secret that could unravel society.

I can't remember all the details of the books. I can think of several other young adult series that follow the same formula. In that sense, the plot twists are almost predictable and I became bored with the overall story. Endless struggle, violence, and politics overshadows character development and that happens a bit here. It is nice to see a strong female character, but Tris started to become annoying by the third book.

I did see the first movie. It was entertaining, but I have not seen the rest. I admit, I am starting to become tired of young adult dystopian stories. They are all the same. Perhaps, if I had written this review three years ago, I would have had a different reaction. I did finish out the series and I was rather "meh" about the ending. I didn't find it adding much to the story.

Book Rating: 4 stars - it is entertaining, but not all that unique.

The books I select for review are books which I personally select from my local library. I do not receive any reimbursement from authors or publishers or free books. I do provide links to Amazon as a convenience to the readers of this blog. I do earn a small referral pittance which is not even enough to buy a soda.

No comments: