Monday, January 15, 2018

War Brides by Helen Bryan


World War II fiction stories are very popular right now. Some have been very good. There is something about that generation of people that speaks to resilience and determination that can inspire. I think these stories also help us work through the horrors of war that maybe help us gain a deeper appreciation of the sacrifices that were made.

Does War Brides by Helen Bryan reach this kind of status? In some ways it does. The story takes place in England. The women left behind take up roles that support the war effort. Some of the women in this story are relocated from London, the others are locals. They form a support group as tragedy and life events unfold. As the war goes on, rumors suggest a spy in their midst is leaking information to the Nazi's. Decades after the war, the women reunite and their secret that helped the war effort is revealed.

Overall, I enjoyed the story. It was engaging and interesting. While the story is fiction, it was easy to believe it could have happened. I won't spoil the ending, but it did leave me dissatisfied. I suppose war makes for difficult decisions. Would I have done what these women did? I don't know that I would, but I can understand why they did it.

Book Rating: 5 stars

The books I select for review are books which I personally select from my local library. I do not receive any reimbursement from authors or publishers or free books. I do provide links to Amazon as a convenience to the readers of this blog. I do earn a small referral pittance which is not even enough to buy a soda.

No comments: