Tuesday, December 18, 2018

A Room with a View


A Room with a View by E. M. Forster is a classic. I picked up the book because I liked the movie version with Helen Bonham Carter and Maggie Smith. The book and movie are quite similar, though the book has a bit more depth.

In the story Lucy and her older chaperone, Charlotte, are traveling Europe. In Italy they were expecting a room with a view of the river Arno but are disappointed on arrival that they did not. After much discussion another hotel guest agrees to switch rooms with them. That hotel guest is a very handsome young man that is also a bit of a free spirit. Lucy forms an attachment to him and a romance ensues. As their journey continues to Rome, Lucy meets Cecil, a person who is more serious in life and a more likely life partner.

The story is an allegory, from what I've read. I guess I didn't think all that deeply about it. On the surface the story is a love triangle. It is also a story about a young woman coming into her own as an independent woman who knows her own mind. Regardless, I liked the story and the movie.

Book Rating: 5 stars

No comments: