Thursday, December 20, 2018

The exhaustion breakthrough


I read the Exhaustion Breakthrough by Dr. Holly Phillips in hopes that I could find some insight on my chronic fatigue. Since I read this book a while ago, I can't really remember a lot of details about her suggestions. Most of the suggestions are common sense : eat right, get better sleep, and exercise.

Sleep is a big factor and having good sleep hygiene is important. Turn off electronics, have a night routine, etc. Try to get around 7 hours of sleep a night. Eating right includes eliminating convenience foods and replacing your diet with minimally processed, whole foods. And yes, exercise but not too much. This kind of advice can be found in many places and it will probably help the person who has normal fatigue. She also advises a person be evaluated for thyroid problems and other conditions that contribute to fatigue. The book does focus on women since women tend have more trouble with fatigue and are more likely to be diagnosed with fatigue problems.

Unfortunately, her book does not really help a person who has chronic fatigue. I can say this because I have implemented some of her strategies. A squeaky clean diet, gentle exercise, and good sleep hygiene have helped me but it has not broken through the exhaustion. I have several theories as to why, but Dr. Phillips does not really deep dive on the subject. So this book is not really helpful for those who suffer from chronic, unrelenting fatigue.

The book is not terrible and may help those with normal fatigue.

Book rating: 3.5 stars

No comments: