Monday, August 22, 2011

Alice's Tulips

 

This is the second book by Sandra Dallas that I've read. This story takes place in Iowa during the Civil War.

Alice marries Charlie just prior to his joining up to fight in the Union army. Alice is left behind to live with her mother-in-law to take care of the farm. She is a bit immature and inexperienced in farm life while living with a hard woman. She experiences poverty, struggle, and difficulty with others.

The story is a quick read, but it wasn't my favorite. I felt like the author picked some modern women and dropped them in Iowa during the Civil War. I just had a hard time buying it. I also predicted what would happen to Alice pretty early on, and who would take the blame. I don't want to spoil the story for those who read it, but it is predictable with a nice tidy ending.

Book Rating: 2 stars

The books I select for review are books which I personally select from my local library. I do not receive any reimbursement from authors or publishers or free books. I do provide links to Amazon as a convenience to the readers of this blog. I do earn a small referral pittance which is not even enough to buy a soda.

No comments: