Thursday, February 16, 2012

Deliciously G-Free

 

It's hard to review a cookbook when you haven't even tried any of the recipes. Elizabeth Hasselbeck is considered a controversial figure in the gluten free community because of bits of misinformation from her previous book and statements about celiac disease and the gluten free diet. I don't know - I think some people are overly harsh. Just like the rest of us, she has had to learn on her own how to eat gluten free. At least because of her fame, she can inform and influence in ways the rest of us cannot.

Anyway, about the cookbook. I have to say that there were few recipes I felt I needed to try. One huge flaw - and this is true of other cookbooks (Alton Brown I'm talking to you) - is the lack of pictures. I think with gluten free cooking it is even more important to have pictures because baked gluten free goods sometimes look a bit different.

The other reason I didn't try any recipes is that the majority of the recipes are easily adaptable recipes. Just substitute gluten free noodles for wheat noodles when making spaghetti. All of the recipes list the ingredients with gluten free whatever, which should be a given for those who use a gluten free cookbook. It was definitely redundant.

Because I didn't try any of the recipes, I can't give a fair review other than the presentation. If you have tried a recipe and it was good, let me know. I will say this probably wouldn't be at the top of my gluten free cookbook must haves.


The books I select for review are books which I personally select from my local library. I do not receive any reimbursement from authors or publishers or free books. I do provide links to Amazon as a convenience to the readers of this blog. I do earn a small referral pittance which is not even enough to buy a soda.

No comments: