Wednesday, May 20, 2015

The truth about statins


A couple of years ago I read a book in which the author, a doctor, believed that everyone should be on a Statin. If I remember right, he had some kind of financial ties to statins. I also remember reading negative reports about statins at the same time as picking up that book to read. The bad news on statins has only continued. Barbara H. Roberts, M.D., continues the bad new stories in her book, The Truth About Statins.

Dr. Roberts is a cardiologist, which makes this book even more compelling. She takes the time to review the studies on Statins and why the research is flawed. Included is an overview of the serious side effects of taking statins, especially for women. She recommends lifestyle and diet changes first, which many doctors don't think the average patient can successfully achieve. But she thinks we can. She does not say that no one should take statins, but only a very, very select patient.

If you or someone you know is taking a statin, this book is a must read. I've talked with a few library patrons who picked this book up and realized that the way they were feeling after starting statins was not normal. They immediately talked with their doctors and stopped taking them. As patients, we need to question every pharmaceutical that is prescribed because no pharmaceutical is without side effects, some of them quite serious.

The book is well written. The chapters that review the statin studies are a bit boring. There are some recipes included that are supposed to help heart health, but they almost seem like an afterthought. The version of the book I read was a small paperback, so not really convenient in the kitchen anyway.

Book Rating: 4 stars

The books I select for review are books which I personally select from my local library. I do not receive any reimbursement from authors or publishers or free books. I do provide links to Amazon as a convenience to the readers of this blog. I do earn a small referral pittance which is not even enough to buy a soda.

No comments: